Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A Sad Night

We had a lovely summer evening. The guys rode to Northfield and the women/kids followed behind with the cars and their change of clothing. It was the perfect night to eat dinner on the patio amongst a great group of friends. All the guys rode and all the women/kids took up the rear. Everything went as expected - Gerrit fell asleep nicely in the car on the way home seeing it was way past his bed time by the time we got home! Now for the sad part...tonight we officially took the pacifier away. Gerrit only got it in bed and would look for it immediately once he was in his crib. He knew he only had it then too and liked sneaking under his crib to find ones he had thrown out during previous naps/night time (see past posts for pictures). Anyways, he was put to bed at 10:19 and now it is 10:49 and as I write this, I finally hear silence. I wanted to run up and give it to him but know better. We just have a few bad nights/naps ahead of us and then he'll forget he even had one! It is just EASIER for us to give it to him! Pathetic but true. I think I will literally throw them away tomorrow so we can't go back on our word and give in if it seems 'tough'! Seeing we said when he turned 1 we'd get rid of the pacifier and now he's almost 16 months, it is time. Plus, we want to take the brunt of it before he heads to daycare full time next week. As I end this post, I can say I made it through the first tough night...however, we shall see how the next few days go!

5 comments:

mizz_marcy said...

Whew! You know how easily I panic, so when I read "sad night" I speeded through the paragraph to make sure something bad hadn't happened. Relieved that it just involved a binky burial ^_^

Love, Marcy

Cara said...

The title was not a good one to have b/c everyone can think the worst thing possible, including myself! Anyway, I wish you the best of luck and will say a few prayers for you during these next couple of nights ahead.
Hugs & kisses,
Aunt Cara

cora stremler said...

So glad it wasn't something to do with the bike ride. I must admit I was afraid when I read your title. Glad it is just the pacifier. I will be praying for Gerrit, & you 2 as the next week goes by. He will need all the help he can get as this is a big deal for him.


LOVE, OMAH

Caryn said...

Give me a little credit - if something bad did happen, I would call you guys! I do know better than to use the blog as our first way of communicating bad things! It was more of a joke b/c its not such a sad thing...at least for us - for Gerrit, probably.

elizabeth said...

*sigh*

hope your sad naptimes & bedtimes don't last too long :)

(and the title threw me too!!)