Thursday, November 27, 2008

The FEAST Must Go On

We hosted Thanksgiving dinner today by having a few friends over. Everyone brought part of the meal so it wasn't totally on my shoulders. I did cook my first turkey ever but unfortunately wasn't able join the group in the feast. I got the flu this morning! I thought it was food poisoning because I felt fine, despite the vomiting so I continued preparing for lunch. I kept saying that the feast must go on and it did. I even did some cleaning once things were in the oven. But around noon (when guests were suppose to arrive) I felt the signs of the flu - tired, and just icky, so I passed the baton off to Adam and went to bed. Luckily all the food I touched, the bacteria was cooked off in the oven! Adam said it was a great meal; the turkey was moist and all the other fixings were yummy too. The only thing he messed up on was making the gravy (I probably would've too seeing I've never made it before either). So my Thanksgiving meal consisted of jello and saltines around 6 pm watching the Spartans lose big time to Maryland (that in itself made me sick again! - just kidding).

I did try a few bites of turkey and must admit it is pretty good. My brother had given me a turkey recipe 10 years ago and I've always wanted to try it but never had the chance. It called for a lot of garlic! I think I used a whole head of garlic - my kind of turkey! And another 1/2 a head in the mashed potatoes.

I felt bad leaving Adam to finishing the meal and deal with the clean up on top of watching Gerrit. He handled it all like a pro. Gerrit knew I was upstairs so while Adam was busy, he'd sneak up stairs and open my door real hard; I wasn't sleeping so it didn't startle me. I felt bad as he wanted me to play with him but I tried to stay away.

Tomorrow we are suppose to head to Iowa for Adam's last bike races of the season. We went last year and had a blast. One other family went last year, and we were able to convince 2 other families to join us this year! But, I think I will be staying behind. The idea of getting others sick or still being sick myself in a hotel doesn't excite us. I give Adam credit, he will be a single dad this weekend and I can lay low and get better. We shall see how I feel in the morning before we make our final decision. I'll keep you posted.

Happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

mizz_marcy said...

I am SO sorry you were so sick, let alone at Thanksgiving and with an out-of-state trip planned! Feel better!!

cora stremler said...

So sorry to hear you missed the 1st Thanksgiving you hosted. I hope you are better today and can still go to Iowa. Also, pray the rest of the family doesn't come down with anything. Thanks, Adam, for filling in!!!!!!


LOVE, OMAH