Thursday, October 16, 2008

Book

I forgot to mention I ordered the book that I had talked about a few posts ago. It came yesterday and I briefly looked at it last night. Its awesome! We have been very shocked by some of the findings. Some things we think we were eating we thought were some what healthy and they are not! And when we eat out, we'd try to choose what we thought would be a healthier choice was actually worse than the ones we thought were bad for you. We've enjoyed looking at labels today and seeing how much sugar is in stuff as well as high fructose corn syrup (sugar). Its amazing. I thought whole wheat bread was good for you as long as it was 100% - well, when I checked the sugar content, I was shocked. 2 g per serving and 1 serving is a slice! That's a lot of sugar in a slice of bread. Anyways, I've only read a bit of it and I think we've got some changes to make and will have to take time to read labels at the grocery store. I'm hoping I can shed a few pounds just by making better choices!

2 comments:

sarah said...

that sounds so interesting!!! i wonder if he has a website - probably not because then he wouldn't sell books :) HA!

elizabeth said...

a few months ago i went grocery shopping alone and decided to look at the labels for the high fructose corn syrup. (cuz there is no way to do it with kids!) i was surprised at how much stuff has it - even teddy grahams!! i was shocked at the bread too - it seemed like all the decently affordable bread contained it. we go through so much i just couldn't justify buying the $3-4 loaf kind that didn't have it. the one easy thing i found to substitute was flavored water juice boxes instead of the hi-c/capri sun stuff i had been buying. baby steps count, right?? :)

have fun with the family!!