Thursday, January 1, 2009

Welcome 2009

Its hard to believe it is 2009 already. Gonna take me a while to get use to it I think. Hard to believe another year has gone by, makes me feel old! We were blessed this past year and I am thankful for that.

We had a low key New Years' Eve this year. I didn't feel like planning anything and I don't think anyone else did either. We stopped by our friend's the Langley's for a bit. Adam wanted to show Dave his new cyclocross DVD so Gerrit and I tagged along and hung out with Pam. It was nice to catch up on the activities from the past week. We came home and put Gerrit to bed and watched a lame movie: Tropic Thunder. It had its funny parts but I think I was expecting more out of it. Adam fell asleep and I made it to the end. We were both in bed before 11 - whoo who - party animals, I know. Amazing how things change as you get older...

We woke up and saw that Santa had visited 4th St. We decided to do stockings on New Year's Day seeing we weren't around on Christmas (and I made cute stockings so I wanted to use them!). Gerrit didn't know the difference, but I did. Plus, with our fabulous gift of a vacuum, we thought if we did stockings, we at least would have some surprise. It took a whole 5 min. but it was nice none the less. I think I had hopes of a nice "holiday" breakfast as a family following stockings but that didn't happen. Adam went and took care of the ice rink/driveway and left Gerrit and I inside to play.

Evidence Santa did indeed stop by:
Gerrit opening his frige phonics:

Saving the best for last - foam balls!
We watched MSU lose and Gerrit took a nap - on the couch. I think we've started a bad habit of naps on the couch.
Gerrit sporting his 'post-nap' do - impressive....

Gerrit woke up just in time for us to head off to friends in the cities for our annual Rose Bowl party. We had tons of food for not a ton of people which is the norm with them. Gerrit took to their boys fast. I think he liked that they gave him his space and he could ease into things. The youngest is in 3rd grade and he enjoyed playing catch with Gerrit. We stayed well past Gerrit's bed time but knew he'd be sound asleep before we hit the highway. Always fun to watch football with fellow football fans...

We are now home again and I'm enjoying the fact that tomorrow is only Friday!

3 comments:

cora stremler said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has gifts that don't fit the stockings. I guess Santa has enough to think about and not worry about whether the gifts fit in the "sox".


OMAH

Caryn said...

ya, my openings aren't real wide i learned. oh well...i'm use to that look from growing up!

sarah said...

LOVE the hair! happy new year!!