Gerrit started soccer camp on Monday night.
Based on how well things went at VBS, we took a trip out to the soccer fields Monday morning to watch and see what he would be doing at night. I thought he'd feel better knowing what he would be doing ahead of time. We then realized that all the kids had shin guards so our trip to Rochester included a stop at Dick's to get Gerrit some too (my reasoning these days includes: Emmit can wear them too some day). Luckily they were on clearance! And being an anal mom, I had to get him dark socks - I don't want to scrub grass stains out of white socks! Then I realized his shin guards and socks were not going to fit into his tennis shoes...luckily Gerrit has his 'football' shoes he got for Christmas. They are a bit big but seeing he has so much that needs to go in the shoes, I figured he could handle it. He was ready for camp at 2:30 and it didn't start until 5! So he patiently waited with his gear on for a few hours.
Unfortunately his enthusiasm dwindled once he stepped on the field. This is how he looked most of the time (note: I was able to move from his side a few times to get some pictures).
He was more interested in this area of the field:
I wouldn't let him leave the field to play on the sand hill. I tried to bribe him and tell him if he played and let me leave the field, he could play on the hill. Didn't work so much. Of course when camp was over, he was more than happy to kick the ball around with dad!
Tuesday I was going solo with Gerrit and didn't want to deal with Emmit and having to stand on the field again (although Gerrit said I could sit this time). So I left Emmit behind at Dahlen's (which was good b/c it was soo hot). And this is how Gerrit looked on day 2:
I'm pretty excited to see how he does tonight. He's come a long ways and seeing he is the youngest one out there we are pretty proud of our little shy guy.
No comments:
Post a Comment