Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween Week

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Sportin' the festive halloween t-shirt and the spider hat made at daycare.

I was very excited to use my pumpkin muffin mold for treats this year (I had to wait almost a year to use it - bought it on clearance last year). I bought a cool festive cake mix and sprinkles to use too. My thought was to make them for Gerrit's friends at daycare. This is what they looked liked (I figured frosting would take away from the shape):

I didn't want to scare any of the kids and was disappointed in how they looked so I went with plan B:

Of course when I was ready to get in the car, Gerrit grabbed the bag and they shifted and fell over - there went my nice presentation too!
The rest of the week went better than my cupcake debacle.
Monday night was Halloween story time at the library. We've met our friends Abby (Dorthy) and Olivia (witch) the past few years and continued with the tradition. This time Adam came with which was nice - I didn't have to sit on the floor.


Wednesday night was pumpkin carving at our house with Luke and Paul. We had plenty of pumpkins from our 'crop' to use. The only bummer is that they are never very big, but I go for quantity (I hear if you cut some of them off early on, the ones left will grow bigger but I've never had the heart to do it!) I was nervous giving Gerrit a carving knife, but it didn't last long and went on to other things instead of carving.


Friday was the Halloween party at church. Gerrit was more excited to wear Luke's Darth Vader mask than his own helmet. I don't think Luke even wore his mask because Gerrit wouldn't give it to him!


Today was the final festivity for Halloween. (Who would've thought it would be a weeks worth of activities!) We just went to the neighbors and our friends via the car. We tried practicing saying "Trick or Treat" and he caught on to the word TREAT real fast! When we got to a house, he wouldn't say it (of course). I often had to carry his pumpkin too. His favorite treat was at Dahlen's - Anne showed him the car and motorcycle the boys found in the toy room earlier today. Of course he had to put them in his pumpkin and take them home! (They will be returned tomorrow - he's sleeping with them tonight.) When we returned home, we went to our front door and he more than willingly carried his pumpkin and even said "trick or treat"! Of course, when we get home he gets the idea! Gerrit really liked eating the candy once we got home. I don't think he gets the whole idea of trick or treating but I'm sure it won't be long!

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

mizz_marcy said...

Grandma and I just viewed Gerrit's Halloween. Makes us feel like we were there. Looks like he had a great time at all the various Halloween events. Hey, Caryn, you did one heck of a job knitting the football helmet!!

elizabeth said...

love the cupcake debacle. mom's best intentions...

for olivia's bday we had to carry in 2 of those wilton cupcake holders since they only hold 12 (so dumb!). olivia had to carry one as i was also carrying josie. on the way into her room her container of cupcakes mysteriously all tilted to one side and were a mess. and it was sooooo not her fault (according to her).

and that is why for halloween i was in charge of finger jello :)