1. I have a few siblings in various grades and at the beginning of the year I was the talk at the dinner table. At the beginning of the year, the girls couldn't figure out what was different about me. Finally a few weeks later, one of the sisters came home and told her mom that she figured out what was so different - I was going to have a baby (I mentioned it in class)! The sisters felt much better knowing they figured it out - they were a bit distraught as to why I didn't tell them though. (I thought the kids would figure it out when I was getting a pretty big tummy.)
2. At 6 months pregnant (and looking very pregnant), I mentioned to a class that I didn't do too bad at demonstrating the sit and reach fitness test for a pregnant woman. A 5th grade boy sitting near me said: You're gonna have a baby? I said: do you think I just ate too many Ho Ho?
3. Today I was talking to another teacher who became an Aunt last night to a new nephew. I asked about the name and mentioned a name I liked but Adam didn't. A student sitting in the principals office overheard our conversation and asked: Mrs. Stremler-Birr, did you get a new dog? I asked why? He said: well, what were you talking about names for? My response: I was talking about the baby I'm going to have! The other teacher, a secretary, and I just busted out laughing at the comment by the student! I thanked the student for giving me a good laugh today and he asked if he still owed me a pencil (he broke one of mine for no reason before taking a written test today). I said: yes, you aren't getting off that easily!
How can you not think middle school is fun? Such innocent comments/thoughts like the above few make getting up for work worth while (it has its bad moments too - but what job doesn't?).
No comments:
Post a Comment