Adam explains his day with Gerrit:
It's been a big week for snowmelt which means long days in the field collecting samples. Today I got a call that we were having some issues with a couple of our monitoring stations. Despite being a Saturday, you don't get many opportunities to collect these 'edge-of-field' samples so I decided I needed to make some site visits. I asked Gerrit if he'd be interested in going into the 'field' to help daddy to which he responded quite enthusiastically. In all we visited 3 sites and he had a blast. He was a big help and I was amazed how he picked up on stuff such as where the water was coming from and which direction it was flowing. Of course the fields are wet with a lot of mud which is not a good combination with a 4 year old. He had been playing around the puddle in the upper left hand corner for some time and the temptation was too great. I heard a 'plunk' and looked up to see him falling in. He quickly jumped out and said "I'm o.k., I'm o.k. daddy!" At the last site the farm cooperator was out doing chores so Gerrit got to meet him. He was pretty excited to meet a farmer. On the drive home he said that he wanted to be farmer and listed a litany of animals he wants to raise. It was a lot of fun spending time in the field with Gerrit and seeing his enthusiasm. Perhaps these sites will be the subject of his dissertation some day...
It's been a big week for snowmelt which means long days in the field collecting samples. Today I got a call that we were having some issues with a couple of our monitoring stations. Despite being a Saturday, you don't get many opportunities to collect these 'edge-of-field' samples so I decided I needed to make some site visits. I asked Gerrit if he'd be interested in going into the 'field' to help daddy to which he responded quite enthusiastically. In all we visited 3 sites and he had a blast. He was a big help and I was amazed how he picked up on stuff such as where the water was coming from and which direction it was flowing. Of course the fields are wet with a lot of mud which is not a good combination with a 4 year old. He had been playing around the puddle in the upper left hand corner for some time and the temptation was too great. I heard a 'plunk' and looked up to see him falling in. He quickly jumped out and said "I'm o.k., I'm o.k. daddy!" At the last site the farm cooperator was out doing chores so Gerrit got to meet him. He was pretty excited to meet a farmer. On the drive home he said that he wanted to be farmer and listed a litany of animals he wants to raise. It was a lot of fun spending time in the field with Gerrit and seeing his enthusiasm. Perhaps these sites will be the subject of his dissertation some day...

2 comments:
Shoot, I am dying to see Gerrit at the site but I can't enlarge the collage.
Either I goofed the first time I looked at this or you fixed it. Either way, I am very happy.
Post a Comment