Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Becoming Pros

We really don't want to say we are becoming pros at dealing with Croup but it seems that way this year! Emmit has it now, his second time since Aug.


Posted by Picasa
I had a bad feeling last night when I returned from book club and he was coughing; he didn't cough at all before I left. I didn't sleep well due to waking up every time he coughed. It seemed to sound more and more like a barking seal as the night went on yet it didn't bother him. At one point Adam and I were discussing the plan of action for the day assuming it was going to get worse. I said I could stay home today so I was the one in charge of dealing with him as the night progressed. Sure enough, around 3am, he woke up coughing and crying because he couldn't breathe. So, I bundled up and with the help of Adam, got Emmit bundled up too. And at this time, Gerrit was up and insisted on coming down stairs with the rest of us. So off Emmit and I went at 3am for a nice walk in the neighborhood. I tried to sit down with him but he wanted to move. He was so cute smiling at me all bundled up and he enjoyed looking at the stars and breathing in the cool air. Following our walk, I tried putting him back in his crib and to my surprise, he fell right back to sleep! Yes, I could sleep too. At one point, I had Adam check on him because we hadn't heard him cough in a while - the cool air got us through till morning.
When the alarm went off, I took care of my sub sending emails etc. and while I fed Emmit, Adam called Aunt Erika to find out how much medicine to give Emmit. We saved the medicine from when Gerrit had it (they would use the same stuff, just different dose). So, now Emmit has his steroids and is doing better. He is very clinging and moody today (side effect of the steroid) but sounds much better. I was hoping to get more laundry done, but will do what I can while dealing with Emmit.  He should be back to normal and we are hoping that this is the end for both boys otherwise we have to look into why they are getting it 'frequently'.

{Gerrit had a nice conversation with Adam at 3am remembering when he had croup and how he went for a walk with Dad and how he didn't like the medicine John gave him - it was too spicy. (It was a pill we smashed up and put it with apple sauce.)  Bummed I missed out on the 3am conversation they had.}

1 comment:

mizz_marcy said...

Poor little guy! Hope he is over it now.