Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Fine Art of Tiramisu


Today I had the luxury of learning how to make Nick's famous Tiramisu!
Nick is our next door neighbor and an excellent chef/cook/baker. We get the benefits of leftovers or when he makes too much food (which is often). Nick has made Tiramisu for both boys' baptisms and it is better than any restaurant and now I have the secret to making it! Below are photos taken by Connie who also learned how to make it today. She took them with her phone so the resolution isn't the greatest. Here goes:

Nick, our teacher:

Nick giving instructions before we begin:


Step 1: dip the lady fingers (forgot the Italian brand we used) in very strong coffee:


Making more espresso


the 'bulk' espresso maker (I want one of these - much easier than our machine, and am thankful I live next door to someone who has a lot of them!)


the filling: stiff peaks - almost glue like consistency:


1st layer complete, ready to dunk more lady fingers and start the second layer:


not so fast on dunking more lady fingers - need to sprinkle chocolate 1st!


the finished product(s) [we get them tomorrow at the block party]:


Nick making us a special post-Tiramisu treat: espresso with creme' (basically, its the 1st few teaspoons of the espresso saved and lots of sugar added to it to make a paste, pour 1/2 cup full of espresso and add a doll-up of the creme')


mixing in the creme':


Surprisingly I loved the drink! I think I need decaf next time, but could get use to drinking them. What a fun little treat to learn to make and taste.

Up next: biscotti! (not until winter)

2 comments:

elizabeth said...

ha ha - how cool!

Caryn said...

it is sooo yummy too!