Wednesday, July 8, 2009

My Boy is Growing Up!

Today was not a good weather day. We were stuck inside due to rain and cool temps. Luckily we hung out with Luke and Paul which is always fun for Gerrit. The boys gave Gerrit his first taste of video games. They tried to teach him how to box on the Wii:

He didn't get the idea of waving his arms in the air so they switched to golf - more Gerrit's style. They rigged the stick with a Now and Later and rubber band so the A button was always pushed allowing Gerrit to swing and hit the golf ball automatically:
Deep in thought as he swings - actually he just swung all the time with the same amount of force. He did not quite get the idea of swinging with less force if he was close to the hole. He loved it none the less!
He even recognized who's turn it was based on the golfer on the TV (the boys made Gerrit his own character and it looks pretty close to him too!). He would tell the other boys when it was their turn and even come to them when it was his turn (they had to press a button before he could make contact each time). When the boys would take a practice swing, Gerrit would say: "almost" - as if they actually were trying to hit the ball and missed! Then he'd cheer when someone would sink a putt!

Just before dinner I changed his diaper - he would only let me do it if he could go 'potty'. So I said that was fine, I just had to clean his buns before he could sit on the potty. He let me do that and then I put him down to go potty - only to be told to 'get away'. So I gave him his space and then went to get him so I could put his diaper on and realized he went potty again! He sprayed a little this time and needed a new shirt and a bit cleaning up, but hey who cares! I just can't believe that the kid won't let me near him so I can't assist him in going. Maybe I will have to buck up and put forth the effort earlier than I was thinking.

My little by is growing up -video games and potty!

No comments: