Sunday, January 20, 2013

Griswald Family Vacation*

I know it has been a while since I posted and no excuse...I'll try and catch up tonight though.

After our family Christmas, we prepared to head to Michigan at the end of the week. Well, with the huge snow storm headed for Wisconsin and a good portion of our driving route, we were hesitant to leave on Thursday as planned. We watched and hoped the storm was going to miss the area but no such luck. Also, no such luck in Emmit missing out on the flu. Gerrit was fine after a day and by Tuesday afternoon, it had struck Emmit. And unfortunately, it was not a  24 bug for him. Seeing he was still not feeling well and the snow storm, we decided to wait till Friday to head to Michigan. I had the day off anyways, so I hung out with the sick kid - and Gerrit (snow day because the storm that hit WI, hit us too, just not as hard). Friday we headed for Michigan only to have Emmit throw up in Madison. Not fun having to deal with that in the car! After much discussion as to what to do (Emmit had been good for 24 hours which is why we decided to make the trek East), we opted for a hotel verses traveling further (in either direction). We were suppose to be at Adam's mom's and then switched that visit till the end of the trip because of family photos with my family scheduled for Sat. morning. Well, now with Emmit still sick and we were spending the night in Wi, we cancelled the photo shoot.

A night in the hotel was perfect. I was able to wash Emmit's clothes and blankets and he was able to relax with Adam (who wasn't feeling well either). Gerrit went swimming in shorts and loved every minute of it. It was a nice break up in the drive even though it put us another day out.

I rode in the back seat with the boys in our Subi for 5 hours clinging to 2 coffee cups for fear of the flu striking again. Lucky for me, it did not! I was going to be ready if it did this time! A stressful drive that was worth it to see the family, even if for only a few days.

We survived the rest of the trip without anyone else getting sick!!

*Friends enjoyed the updates I was giving on Face Book and said it sounded like the Griswald Family Vacation movie with all the stuff that happened and went wrong! Gave us a good laugh - after the trip!!

No comments: