Monday, May 2, 2011

A Lesson in Statitstics

Gerrit's stats from his well visit were normal. He is now 3 feet, 5 in tall and weighs a whopping 37 pounds. Basically he is average in weight and a bit tall for his age. So far so good.

Emmit's stats proved that the last well visit's stats are 'outliers'. I laughed when Adam called them that, only because I remember teaching outliers, and now I have a real life example! Too bad I'm not teaching math these days. We are thankful that Emmit's 12 month stats are outliers and he seems more on track. He is now:
30.7" tall 
and 
23 lbs 5 oz.

He continues to show steady progress in his growth and even though he has 2 outliers for weight and head circumference he is back on track. In comparison, Gerrit at this age (granted Emmit's well visit was slightly later than normal because we waited to have both boys checked at the same time):

 

By looking at these photos, it is obvious Gerrit was a chunky baby and had darker/thicker hair. (I have not given Emmit a 'hair cut' yet and whereas Gerrit had plenty by this age.) However, their stats are similar (even though Emmit had a month extra to catch up) - Gerrit was:
31.8" tall
and
23 lbs, 3 oz

Even though Gerrit was a bigger baby than Emmit, Emmit has fire inside! He is starting to defend himself which will teach Gerrit that he can't push/shove/kick without there being paybacks. Emmit definitely knows what he wants and will do a good job of communicating this even if he doesn't have the vocab. His grunts, screams, and pointing takes him far!

No comments: