This weekend was a busy weekend for us. Sat. morning Gerrit spent 2 hours at church practicing for their Christmas program, followed by a hair cut and then we visited Santa who happened to be in town:
I'm glad there was not a line, nor that we spent money on capturing this experience. Gerrit didn't want to leave the stroller, when I got close to Santa, Emmit squealed so loud all I could do was laugh. We knew he'd cry the minute we put him on Santa's lap but had to just to capture the moment. Gerrit finally got close to Santa as long as I was with him. We quickly took a picture of the boys and that is the best we got! Santa didn't seem to thrilled with our children, but he was a good sport.
We reminded Gerrit that if he was good, Santa would visit our house when he was sleeping tonight! He liked that even if he didn't want to get close to Santa in person. He left a few cookies out for him before he went to bed. (I think holidays are so much more enjoyable with children!)
This is what the boys woke up to this morning. Gerrit was pretty excited to see that Santa ate his cookies...(the camera is not broke, just really bad shadows from where I was sitting this morning).
Gerrit's favorite gift:
Gerrit received some other gifts too, but this by far was his favorite - and Santa brought it! We now have 'one of those kids' because he wore this all day - even in the car when he went to Dahlen's. He tried to get us to let him wear it to church but we had to draw the line somewhere!
The helmet even fit dad - guess with a short hair cut you can fit any kids helmet/hat on!
Emmit wanted nothing to do with the helmet
Emmit cracked me up. We came downstairs to a bunch of gifts by the tree and he went right to the push toy (top left). Even when Gerrit put a gift in front of him (top middle) he didn't know what to do with it. We tried to show him how to rip the paper but he was into Gerrit's Dairy Queen play ice creams to care. Once Gerrit helped him open his gifts, he seemed interested. He loved to try them out - in his mouth of course!
After our family Christmas, it was time to head to church for Gerrit's program. We were not expecting much from him but knew he knew the songs because we had been practicing them at home as well as in Sunday School. Of course he didn't want to wear 'all that stuff' - collared shirt, tie, church shoes, and when I asked if I could put a belt on him, it didn't surprise me that the answer was NO! I didn't push it, I thought getting him to wear his gingerbread tie was enough (I doubt next year I'll get away with insisting on the outfit). Before we left, Gerrit was very upset because he couldn't play basketball in that shirt!
The program was very cute and he made us proud. He held one of the teachers' hand as he entered the sanctuary but then he was fine on his own. We sat in the back but thanks to a zoom lense, we were able to get a few shots between people's heads! And Gerrit was front and center which was even better!
Adam asked why Gerrit was in the front like that and I said I didn't know, but I liked it that we could see him. Adam responded by saying Gerrit was front and center because his dad is on council!
The program started at 10 30 and finally at 11, Emmit fell asleep for his morning nap! The program ended at 11 15! Ratz. The morning ended with a stop at Bridgett's for breakfast.




No comments:
Post a Comment