Sunday, December 12, 2010

Blizzard 2010

We are alive and able to get out of the house. It was a busy 24 hours around here - we added about 16" to the already 11" we gained last weekend. Snow started at 10 30 Friday night and it didn't let up until 10 30 Saturday night. I was able to run a few errands in town early in the day and Adam took Gerrit to Dahlen's for a bit in the afternoon. Other than that, we stayed home and watched the snow pile up.

Gerrit wanted to go sledding so just before dark we decided to go as a family. We walked a block to the church behind us and Gerrit sled down the hill in their parking lot. Adam and I each pulled a kid and both loved the sled. Adam helped me get over a huge mound of snow at the edge of the street and then he went back to pull Emmit over it only to have Emmit tip over - face first! He was stuck because he was strapped in and we both froze for a second looking at him trying to push up out of the snow. Once I wiped the snow off his face with my scarf, he stopped crying.



I took a few pictures then walked Emmit home. I decided to take the street because the church sidewalk wasn't cleared off. I didn't realize how much the wind had picked up and it was coming directly at us and it was cold! As I was nearing the sidewalk by our house (which was semi-cleared off), a man in a pick up pulls up next to me and offers me a ride! Only in a small town! I'm sure I looked silly walking in the street with a baby - there was no one out on the roads, let alone walking! I pointed to the house and he waved and continued on his way.

Adam decided to snow blow one more time after the boys went to bed. It looked like things were slowing down and the snow was coming to an end. He didn't want to leave it all till morning when church is at 8am. When he got outside, Gary was in the driveway as he had the same thoughts as Adam. So together they cleared East 4th St Heights at 9pm in the blowing snow.


Not a great picture, but you can see just how much we had gotten during the day (Adam had blown at 8am)
We didn't make it to church because we thought it was cancelled. I think we were the only church in the area that was still on! So we got Gerrit ready for Sunday school only to find out that was canceled. After Adam cleaned things up a bit more outside, we met Dahlen's at Bridget's for breakfast. 

After breakfast, Adam and Dave went to help Bryan shovel and checked on Matt's parents (Matt's dad had knee replacement this weekend). They then drove by Langley's and saw that their drive way had not been touched. So Dave fired up (mom and dad's Honda) and Adam checked to see if anyone was home. David was sipping coffee and reading the paper! David quickly got dressed and fired up his huge snow blower (so much for feeling bad for him) and the 3 of them finished up the driveway in no time.


I had sent Adam with the camera and asked him to take a few pictures of the area:

This is not a snow bank - the left pile of snow is in the middle of the street!

This is the same street, looking the other direction (the school is on this street).

We drove on this street this morning - Adam almost drove the wrong way because we didn't realize the big pile of snow was the middle of the street! Here they are snow blowing the pile into a dump truck.

  
For living in a small town, we have an amazing plow crew. The roads were great this afternoon! It is now bitterly cold so we will stay inside the next few days and play in the snow later this week when things warm up. Maybe we'll go snow shoeing seeing we have over 2 feet of snow. 
A few interesting notes about this storm:
Metrodome (where the Vikings play) roof collapsed
I90 was closed and were issuing $1,000 fine if you were caught driving on it
ZM is 2 hours late start tomorrow - I'm sure I will be on time as usual!

Posted by Picasa

No comments: