Friday, August 31, 2012

Back to the Norm

Seems like all I do lately is go to BMX races. I know that is not true but when I look back at the last week and what we have done, that is the only thing that sticks out in my mind. Sure, I headed back to school with workshops and the boys  are adjusting to getting up and out the door early but that does not seem like 'fun'. I guess that is life though - not always fun. 

Potty training is going on week 3 and little progress from Emmit is showing. He has no problem going - he's just not into telling you when he needs to go. Every once in a while we will luck out and have the pleasure of him telling us he needs to go but then the next time he either has an accident or will go - if we remind him. I sure hope it 'clicks' soon because it is not fun when we go away (and he refuses to wear a pull up - which is not always a bad thing either). So our conversations at home often center around the amount of flow Emmit seems to get when he goes (the kid could push anything out, even a drop and expects a treat because 'he went potty'). We continue to plug away and I am able to keep up on laundry with all the accidents! 

Gerrit wishes he could get treats every time he goes potty so we deal with that debate on a regular basis. He's given up for the most part, but every once in a while wants a treat too. He is more into making money which is a new chapter for us. We decided to start the allowance thing if he stays on top of picking up his toys and helping out. It seems to make sense to him because he is expected to do more than Emmit so he is paid and Emmit is not. We are making sure that half of the money he makes is put in his piggy bank for savings and the other half is in his wallet. He is currently saving up to buy BMX goggles.

I am adjusting back to the middle school again. I miss Sue but like working with the guys again. I never thought a staff could be so happy to see a PE dept back together but our's is. It is a welcoming feeling to know we were missed and they valued what we did and how that affects the school. I am warming up to the idea of elementary again. I have 3 days in which I start my day with little kids - not my favorite but I just have to get them moving and play a game. At least now I have a kid that age so it makes sense - but I'm still not good at it!

School starts for me on Tuesday with kids, I attend school on Wednesdays this semester at the U, and Gerrit officially starts on Friday. A big week for all of us.

Until more news on the start of school, you can watch last night's BMX races. I took the video camera and tried to capture every race the boys did - meaning, Paul, Luke, Gerrit and Emmit. So, they are in order of when they happened in the night.  Paul is in the grey long sleeve shirt, Gerrit in his red pants and black/red jersey/helmet, Luke is in the black/white jersey/helmet, and Emmit is the one in shorts and a t-shirt (the rest of the kids are in full BMX gear - not gonna do that!).

No comments: