Friday, August 19, 2011

Emmit's Big Day at the Farm

We didn't have daycare Wednesday so Emmit came with us to the farm. Luckily both Luke and Paul were there to help keep an eye on him. The first thing they did was fill up the little red neck swimming pools for Emmit. The hose water was pretty cold so we wanted to give it some time to warm up. Emmit loved the little pools. He even went in the 'big' one with Gerrit (which had warmer water).

I could hardly keep him dry when he was near the 'pools'. Before he had a chance to get his clothes wet and more importantly, his diaper saturated, I stripped him down. This was near the end of our afternoon, so I skipped the swim suit and let him skinny dip.


We did get some work done. Luke kept Emmit happy by giving him rides on the tractor and Gerrit took some time off from playing to help harvest onions. In the mean time, Emmit helped Deb fill the buckets with water - he actually helped keep the hose in the bucket! Paul assisted Emmit in using the squeegie to clean off the tables and then showed him a thing or 2 about fishing. Emmit found the fishing pole that Gerrit played with last week - the one with the Christmas ornament on the end! He fished using the bucket and didn't seem to mind that he didn't catch anything!

Of course there was some time for biking. We took Emmit's trike along so he wouldn't feel left out. Paul helped him on Gerrit's bike so he could 'ride like the big boys' (even with a little help). After lunch the big boys had a bike race. Gerrit won, but he had an advantage - his bike fit! I love watching the 3 of them come up with something they can all do together. Gerrit loves those boys! And the picture with the goggles...no idea where he came up with that!


The boys also took the dogs down to the river to run off some energy. Gerrit went along while Deb and I did some harvesting. I asked Deb how wet she thought Gerrit would be when he came back and here was our answer:
Gerrit came riding back to the farm wearing just his underwear! Paul thought it was best he save his shorts and t-shirt from getting too wet so they took his clothes off. Little did I know that his underwear would be full of sand! Luckily I had an extra outfit along. 

The highlight for Gerrit was waiting to ride Tug Boat again. He was patient all day so just before we left, he took a quick ride and even let Emmit ride with him! Emmit didn't seem to mind; he wasn't sure what to think but he didn't protest either. Emmit seems more of an animal lover than Gerrit so it didn't surprise me to see a smile on Emmit's face. 

We have one more week before I head back to work so one more day at the farm. Sad to think our time is coming to an end because we have so much fun. I love how Gerrit asks me what we are going to pick today and if he can help. Hopefully we can help harvest a little bit on the weekends once school starts.
I told Deb she needs to keep farming long enough for my kids to spend their summers helping her! I think Emmit will come with us next summer.


No comments: