Monday, October 4, 2010

A Visiting Seal

Yesterday Gerrit was wheezing periodically, especially when he was active. As the evening progressed, the wheezing was more pronounced. I was worried it was the start of croup so we discussed the plan of action for today - Adam would stay home if necessary because I had a meeting I needed to go to. This was day 3 for Adam being off work (but honestly, he could've used another day home to get rid of his cold). We were proactive in getting 2 humidifiers set up and giving Gerrit a hot steamy shower (I remembered these tips from Erika when Emmit had croup this summer). So we put him to bed and all seemed fine - no cough, no wheezing. Around 11 Adam woke me up, holding Gerrit in his arms and Gerrit could hardly breathe. I told him to start a hot steamy shower and sit with him. So there we were, the 3 of us in the bathroom, sitting on the floor breathing in the steam at 11 pm. Gerrit was a bit panicky because he couldn't breathe easily and Adam and I discussed a trip to the ER. I didn't want to go because I knew we'd sit there for 3+ hours before we'd be seen seeing we weren't bleeding etc. Adam was worried Gerrit would get worse as the evening progressed. I suggested calling our friend John who is a family doc at Mayo despite the late hour. He always told us to call him before going to the ER so we did. Luckily it did not sound like he was sleeping and he volunteered to come over. After checking him out, he gave Gerrit a steroid. It was a pill so we crushed it and put it in apple sauce which didn't seem to matter - Gerrit didn't want it. We got it down him and I felt relieved because I knew from Emmit's experience that this was the best thing for him and he'd make it through the night. John left and said he'd check on him in the morning as he had the day off.

It was now 11 30 and we bundled Gerrit up to go for a walk and let him breathe in the cool air. Adam took him and Gerrit was wide awake and asked which direction they were going to go and was pretty chatty for 11 30 at night! When they returned I tucked Gerrit into bed with me so we could keep an eye on him and we had a peaceful rest of the night. A few seal-like coughs but that was it!

Gerrit did ok staying home with Adam. He fought Adam for an hour about riding his bike! It was a beautiful day and Gerrit couldn't understand why he couldn't ride his bike. Adam reminded him that he hadn't ridden his bike either because he was sick with a cold. Together they rested and watched movies.

Gerrit sounds a bit better and a second dose of steroids today should be enough to get him over the hump. I will be staying home tomorrow just to make sure he lays low. I picked up a few movies from Luke and Paul and bought him a new Lego toy so we have something new to do. A few silly bands were a great pick me up when I got home too.

We are so thankful to have John nearby and I'm sure Erika is thankful too - saved her a call at midnight and not much she could do on the phone! I was tempted to call her just for reassurance! It is not fun being sick but I think it is worse when your child is sick.

(Gerrit is wanting a snack and sees that I'm typing - he wants to know who I'm texting! Amazing how perceptive this kid is!)

No comments: