Thursday, September 23, 2010

Almost Built an Ark

Yes, we are still alive and almost floating away. Last night we got 5" of rain and plenty more today. Adam didn't go into work, although he did do some work from home and checked a site near home. I did not go to work either. I manned the house and made sure the pump was working and did some pumping with the wet vac. At 6am Adam headed to Roch to buy a pump while I took the boys to daycare. The pump is small (although expensive) and isn't doing the trick fast enough. So, this afternoon Adam headed back to Roch to get another pump only to learn that he couldn't get to Roch - there was not a road that wasn't closed (that he could think of). So he turned around and headed to the cities. The bridge that was just opened last week in town is now closed as water is over the road near it, the detoured road is also closed due to water, and the next closest road is also closed! One school district closed early today due to the flooding! We are suppose to get more tonight and I hope the end is in site. We are very thankful the basement was empty and the new flooring is in (for the most part). It is drying nicely so I am happy we went with the tiles we did! Anne just stopped by and is picking up the boys for me so I don't have to leave the pump running as that makes me nervous. I think I'll be able to make it to work tomorrow if Adam is successful at getting to the cities and back. I'm not sure what he's going to do tomorrow, hopefully something will be open at that point (assuming it stops raining long enough). Who would've thought we'd get this much rain in the fall, about a month after the last major rain! Even though we are getting pretty good at cleaning up wet basements, we are not going to do it for a living! We have a plan how to remedy the situation and hope by spring we can take care of it all (again, assuming no more major rains before then!). We are sick of doing house projects and want to take a break before tackling the next one.
We are very thankful it wasn't worse as nearby towns are in real trouble with the Zumbro river rising! They are asking for volunteers to help sandbag in Pine Island and as much as we'd love to help them out, we could use some sandbags around our own house! (not really, we just need to finish getting the water out of the basement). 
Just thought I'd update you for all of those watching the weather and noticing it is pretty green around our area...

No comments: